This is an archived mirror of the gamespy forums. Mail to spirit at quaddicted c o m if you have any questions.
ForumPlanet - Topic - Announcement: Forum Shutdown 6/18/12
SEARCH The Web  GameSpy   GameSpy Forums  

GameSpy Forums » GameSpy.com Forums » GameSpy Site Feedback Announcement: Forum Shutdown 6/18/12
  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   .. 14   Next>
Topic: Announcement: Forum Shutdown 6/18/12

So as it turns out, the Mayans were kind of right. 2012 is the end of the world, if by "the world" you mean the GameSpy forums.

On June 18, GameSpy will transition off of the current messageboard software and onto the same Disqus commenting software that powers article comments on IGN. The good news is that it's much more modern software that's easier to use and manage, and is nowhere near as flakey or prone to giving you unhelpful error messages when something goes wrong. The bad news, which is impossible to sugarcoat, is that these forums and everything on them will wink out of existence.

Why is this happening? Here's the problem: these forums are built on what is, in internet years, ancient technology. IGN's engineering team is eager to phase it out, because simply doing nothing and leaving it running would be an expense. They'd need to renew a software license they don't want to renew and maintain computer equipment they don't want to maintain. In short, it's not going to happen.

So why not move all of the posts to a new message board system? That turns out to be a time- and labor-intensive process, and our engineering team doesn't believe it's the best use of their resources -- which they need to keep IGN, 1UP, and GameSpy running. However, I'd very much like to see this slice of internet gaming history preserved if possible, so if anybody out there has expertise in migrating forum data and knows how to do it with a snap of their fingers, I'd love to hear from you.

So what happens next? We've been given the option of a GameSpy sub-category on the IGN forums, or no forums at all. We're totally willing to set that up for you if you want it, but my knee-jerk reaction is that there's no real point to a GameSpy community that's not actually on GameSpy. Our community can still thrive here via comments on posts, and you'll find our writers and editors actively participating there.

Regardless of what happens, we want to show that we value and respect those of you who have made GameSpy's forums your online home for so long. We'd like to offer long-term members with a join date of 2009 or earlier special status on the IGN forums to reflect your original signup dates and post counts, plus a complimentary one-year IGN Prime membership (which comes with monthly free PC games).

Yes, I know that I have a little egg on my face, having very recently stood up and said this is exactly what wouldn't happen. All I can say there is that that's the information I had at the time, and I'm very sorry that it didn't turn out to be as firm as I believed it was. I'll try to do a better job of keeping you guys in the know in the future.

If you have any questions or comments, or would like to request a transfer to the IGN forum, please let us know in this thread. I hope you'll stick around!

Post Reply | Quote Reply | Active Topic Notification | Private Message | Post History | Report Post,Report
Graduate 1st Class Underwater Overlord Scrolls
sad

I guess good things can't last forever. I really wish we could at least archive the posts somewhere, there were some great discussions here.

Gamespy had a good run. It really saddens me to see IGN not only take over but practically bully you guys like this. You should be able to get your own forum.

Well gg, so long and thanks for all the fish. I doubt many of us will migrate there :/

Post Reply | Quote Reply | Active Topic Notification | Private Message | Post History | Report Post,Report
Species In Decline
I'll try to do a better job of keeping you guys in the know in the future.

Ok... what future?

-----signature-----
Beer is your friend - Fishbaugh

OneBigClam posted:
Ok... what future?

We're not going anywhere, we're just closing the forums. There's plenty of future interaction with GameSpy's staff to be had in our post comment threads.

SpymasterDan posted:
OneBigClam posted:
Ok... what future?

We're not going anywhere, we're just closing the forums. There's plenty of future interaction with GameSpy's staff to be had in our post comment threads.

This forum wasn't about gamespy anymore really, it has taken on a life of its own. The forum is the Lobby. I'd say the core community spends 99% of their gamespy site time on the forums and not the gamespy gaming news itself. That's just a bonus. So it's not "just" closing the forums. To many of us it's losing a community, which was nearly our whole reason for visiting this site anymore. I was optimistic that we'd get to keep this place since gamespy has been improving its quality again lately (and since you had reassured us...), IGN should respect your wishes.

Evil Homer always hated this place it seems. He was behind shutting down most of the other forumplanet forums too.

Species In Decline
By the way, no need to thank us. You're welcome for the modding.

-----signature-----

King of the jellies.
This does not rock my pepe.

-----signature-----
I've finally changed my signature.

Private
Wow, this is a major, major downer. I've been here for over a decade and it's been a big part of my life.

I guess I'll try out the IGN boards but going from a community of around 20 to a community of around 20,000 doesn't seem like it'll take.

Is it at least going to be a seperate part of the IGN boards like the Gamespy section or is it just be a part of the big boards?

-----signature-----
I got a lot of good Ideas trouble is most of them suck

P.Catfish posted:
Evil Homer always hated this place it seems. He was behind shutting down most of the other forumplanet forums too.

Again, it's not about people hating forums or wanting to destroy anything. If someone had really wanted to shut this place down, it would've been done years ago. It's strictly a question of cost/benefit - while we'd love to maintain it and keep things going, it doesn't pay for itself. That's tough to keep going for any business.

Species In Decline
it doesn't pay for itself

Sure, since you stopped promoting it on the front page and linking to it. You guys killed it by neglect.

-----signature-----

I spent four days animating this Gif
I agree with your "knee-jerk reaction", I think a sub-category would be easy enough to set up and perfectly within rights to ask for. I'm a little sad you guys never really integrated the forums into the rest of the site (I'm a regular user of the main page these days and a commenter on the news articles) and I felt that a real sense of cohesion was missing where some of the personalities posting on the articles might discuss things that weren't on topic or maybe related things in a format was wasn't going to scroll off the top of the page quickly.

I was here when they first introduced the forums, as a way of reducing the amount of e-mail the editors had to read.

At first I resisted the change, I was still a teenager and I thought we were getting blown off so that the staff (who I adored) wouldn't have to deal with us anymore.

In time I came to love the cast of characters in here, though they've changed over the years I've grown to accept them as part of my online family and seeing this place go, which I hated and resisted joining at first is kind of a sad event.

IGN is already plastered all over the site. I don't see the problem in putting the forums there.

I've tried posting on the vestibule a few times and it moves too fast for this ol' codger to keep up.

I'll see you around here Dan, maybe not as often but definitely from time to time. One thing I'll miss that you could bring back : Creative contests; random facebook contests are great and all but how's about letting the community you're trying to gather here contribute and share in each other's creative genius?

IGN xfer me, also, this is some brutal short notice Dan. I don't hate you for it or anything though, it's not personal, it's just geez Dan... 17 days?

-----signature-----
--------------------------------------------

"Human Revolution is waaaaay over rated even worse than the first one not as good as invisible war though."
--California Bono

Species In Decline
Pretty generous severance package, though, to give credit where it's due. I do appreciate the gesture, thank you. I'll give the transfer to IGN a tryout as well.

-----signature-----

You dick.

Sure, a section of the IGN forums would be super. The problem with that is we'd have to deal with the guys who post on the IGN forum! Have you been there? It's a fetid cesspool of human detritus; a black hole of idiocy, bigotry, and horrible grammar that makes 4chan look like a place of level-headed and well adjusted people. It's worse than the Gamespot forums! It's almost as bad as the Bioware Social Network! It's like a sick joke that SA goons made to make us all sad.

God forbid you should just toss this forum out and make a new one in the same place, you know. I don't think anyone cares about post count.

-----signature-----
evil science

A Dimple in Draco
Ah. The cost/benefit thing.

-----signature-----
"Minced Meat" - Alone in the Dark Side of the Moo Moo Farm

There was a thread asking us what improvements we'd like to see to the forum. I'm pretty sure if you actually read that thread you'll see this is The Last Thing anyone wanted to happen. Try listening to your reader base here, it works for the really great gaming companies.

Sergeant
I barely even post here anymore and this still feels horrible. Even if I would only post a couple of times a week, I still enjoyed reading (/stalking). It sounds cliched but thanks for the memories guys. 8 years is a long time (especially from ages 16-24) and it was a lot of fun overall. Cheerio, I wish you all the best in the future.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   .. 14   Next>
GameSpy Forums » GameSpy.com Forums » GameSpy Site Feedback Announcement: Forum Shutdown 6/18/12
© 2012 IGN Entertainment, Inc (9.02.17.2300, MEDIAPRDBOARD03) 0.078