This is an archived mirror of the gamespy forums. Mail to spirit at quaddicted c o m if you have any questions.
ForumPlanet - Topic - AvP2: Open Pyramid Project.
The Web   ForumPlanet   

ForumPlanet Home » ForumPlanet » Action » Planet AvP Forums » Games » Editing » AvP2: Open Pyramid Project.
  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   .. 16  .. 26  .. 36  .. 78   Next>
AvP2: Open Pyramid Project.
Topic: AvP2: Open Pyramid Project.
Over 40 - Still Reckless
<orange>AvP2 Open Pyramid Project Concept.</orange>

I have been thinking about building the Predator Pyramid from the AvP movie for some time now. ...but the more I think about it, the more I realise that the task is beyond the scope of a single individual to complete and do it justice. After all, to create a movie accurate pyramid interior (and/or exterior) requires more than just building the geometry. So, this is where I invite other artists and mappers in the Community to contribute necessary elements to successfully bring this Project to completion.

<orange>Textures.</orange>

Possibly more critical than the world geometry for this map to be convincing is the creation of a custom texture set. No matter how accurate the structure is built in DEdit, if the pyramid doesn't replicate the movies appearance, it will be a disappointment. So, a complete set of custom textures will be required. Anybody - as individuals or as a team - who can provide art for the Project's custom texture set will be greatly appreciated. Floors, walls, ceilings, rock and ice textures will be required.

Also, a miscellany of alpha channel chromaKey textures for Translucent World Models such as the Alien3 motif that appears in the sacrificial chamber floor, spider webs and the spiked chains for the Queen's stasis pit is also desirable.

<orange>Geometry.</orange>

Of course, a Project of this magnitude will require mappers. While I am capable of building the world geometry for the map in its entirety on my own, I would like to involve other AvP2 Community mappers in this Project. This will speed up the cunstruction process considerably and see its release many months ahead of just having a single person dedicated to building the entire map.

I think that the best method to accomplish this is to build the map as a series of modules. Mappers can register their interest here in this forum thread and choose a location that they wish to construct. Making such notes on this thread will prevent any unnecessary duplication and work in progress can be tracked easily. Mappers can then submit their finished prefab.ed file and once enough rooms/chambers/corridors etc. have been collected, I will be able to stitch the whole thing together as a functional map. If more mappers are involved, then the faster it will all come together. If you are interested in building a room module, choose a location and register your claim below:

<strike>Razorback Ridge Whaling Station</strike> - Juan & Redclaw
<strike>Ice Cavern.</strike> - Windebieste - Completed
<strike>Pyramid Exterior.</strike> - Scythewraith & Jerod - Completed
Pyramid Entrance and Corridor
<strike>Sacrificial Chamber.</strike> - PsyKore - Completed
<strike>Plasmacaster Sarcophagus Vault.</strike> - Redclaw - Completed
<strike>Queen's Stasis Pit.</strike> - WsCandy! - Completed
<strike>Hall of Statues.</strike> - FlyingScotsman - Completed
<strike>Broken Bridge.</strike> - Monkee
<strike>Hive.</strike> - WsCandy! Completed
<strike>Weyland's Last Stand</strike> - FlyingScotsman - Completed
<strike>Scar's Ante Chamber </strike> - SiL
Grid's Victory Chamber.

(Crossed off location items have already been claimed and allocated to interested mappers.)

Miscellaneous other corridors, rooms and locations will probably also be required. This is just a brief, suggested list so if there is something you want to build, register it in this thread.

<orange>Models and Skins.</orange>

There are also a few features in the map that will require modellers to also make a contribution to the Project to help bring the map to life. The models only need to be static props and won't require any animation:

<strike>Predator statues holding Combisticks.</strike> - Scythewraith, .abc conversion by Coty, skinned by RJW_ca
Mummified corpses.
Wall mounted skull and vertebrae trophies.
Mounds of bones.

...and no doubt a variety of other features will also be needed. Anybody who can make such completed models will be greatly appreciated.

<orange>Resolve.</orange>

I am confident that there is enough talented people in the AvP2 Community to build this map. By providing this Project with some much needed assistance from these folk, I am prepared to see the Open Pyramid Project through to completion. Regardless, this Project needs your help. I anticipate it will take 6-12 months to complete - possibly even quicker - if a reasonable number of people are involved. If you can make a real contribution in any way, please register your interest in this thread and how you can assist.

Any constructive suggestions, words of encouragement and support you may have to help make the AvP2 Open Pyramid Project a reality are also welcome.

<orange>Visit the Open Pyramid Website. </orange>

Courtesy of the efforts of Redclaw, the site contains general information and work in progress screenshots. You can find the site here:

http://home.comcast.net/~redclaws/index2.html

Thank you. wink

-Windebieste.

-----signature-----
Vegetarians are Tasty

Locked Topic | Active Topic Notification | Private Message | Post History | Report Post,Report
Turn another turn.
In Reply To #1

If this map works out, then I will definately download it.

It sounds awesome.

Incredibly difficult, but awesome.

Good luck wink .

-----signature-----
---

Blind time for old misconceptions. Roll out new scenery, as per suggestion. Won't salute you. Won't desert you. I won't be a prisoner of assumption anymore.

Locked Topic | Active Topic Notification | Private Message | Post History | Report Post,Report
Over 40 - Still Reckless
The trick is to get enough people interested in it so that the workload is divided up to a manageable level. Trying to build the whole thing on my own is just too prohibitive, but getting several people involved greatly reduces the labour intensive nature of such a project.

Even if just one mapper in the Community expresses an interest, then the workload - and time spent on the map is halved. Now that is worth comtemplating, hey.

Just imagine how quickly the construction of this thing would be if half a dozen mappers contributed 2 rooms each. Man! Now, that would be awesome!

Which is why I am canvassing for assistance on this project. I think it is worth the effort.

-Windebieste

-----signature-----
Vegetarians are Tasty

iART  253 posts
5423_shadow

i'd jump on board and dedicate a year of my life if we had two things for this project....

1. import/export plugins for model and texture for 3dsmax v7. Max7 is just too awesome to return to v4.2. And pLugins that work in v6 will work in v7

2. someone interested in teaking the game engine. In order to keep me from being distracted by a shiny bobble, i need avp2 to have normal mapping and pixel shading. Specular lighting control and light blooms would be nice, but i could live without them.

I get frustrated when i look at games much older than avp2. Quake1 for example, is now 10 years old. The constant improvemnets to it's engine are inspiring. See some screenies of the latest Quake1 mod... which was released a few days ago.
http://www.nexuiz.com/public/1.jpg
http://www.nexuiz.com/public/new/7.jpg

for those who don't know Quake1, this is what is originally looked like
http://www.iart.ca/files/quake1.jpg

Your project deserves to look it's best. And i know that you can imagine the atmosphere that could be created if we had these tools.
SIDENOTE: winde, i have been distracted by kotor2. I will get you those textures though.

SIDENOTE 2: the above quake mod is a free stand alone game, so Quake is not needed to play. Download the game and get more info (like Video footage) here
http://www.nexuiz.com/index.php?module=media

hey, by the way i fort id let u kno that the hive and sacrificail chamber are the same room...

[added Jun 3 2005 11:52AM]

also i think this would be good, change the starlight views, so predators aliens vision fog is green and, the heat vision is red, then get a couple of skinners to make the correct sprites, eg. green aliens, etc... that would make it more movie like...

Soldier
In Reply To #1
Your proposal is interesting to me, I myself am doing a map project along those lines. My map, War Crime, is inspired in part by the Pred Pyramid, but also by DOOM, a friend of mine came across your post, and even as I write this, the persistant little shit is still harping on me to join your project, I have some screen shots of my map in progress posted on my clan's website http://www.geocities.com/avp_hod/War_Crime_Preview.html keep in mind, I don't really work on it too hard, but progress is speeding up as the basic geometry unfolds. If you would contact me either by E-mail to DaVileBunny@Aol.com or send an IM to me at HoD_CE_Evil_Bunny, perhaps we could talk about your project in better detail. I look forward to hearing from you soon. At this point I will not choose a section of the pyramid to help construct, until I have more information, and have discussed things with you properly.

Over 40 - Still Reckless
iArt:
1). The tools you choose to use are solely your own responsibility. I am not trying to influence your decision either way, but a handful of new models would really lift the quality of the map.

2). Sorry, we can only work with the technology we have. Yes, I know about the Nexuiz Quake based title. We can't hope to have the graphics updates that the Quake Open Source Community has access to. This is not going to be that kind of dedicated project. Just a map project open to members of the AvP2 editing community to create a reasonably accurate AvP movie themed map with the aging AvP2 Talon game engine as it is.

Sure the continued improvement of ye olde Quake engine is inspiring - and that is a good thing. We just have to find the inspiration within oursleves to achieve our goals with what we have got.

SIDENOTE: Distracted? That can be good thing, y'know. Helps freshen up yer head. Looking forward to seeing those HG textures finished. You'd be more than welcome to create some textures for this Pyramid Project. At your leisure, of course, should you choose to do so.

SIDENOTE 2: I still love Quake. =)

Board Guest:
Are you sure that they are the same room? I always got the impression that the hive was much deeper inside the pyramid, well away from the sacrificial chamber. Aliens dragged their victims down there to use as hosts in their own private lair. Nonetheless, a sacrificial chamber as such a characteristic and fundamental feature of the pyramid and its inclusion is a must. Also, aliens need their hive. So, to have both rooms in the map is mandatory.

Yeah, I like the idea of changing the vision modes. but that implementation is still a long way down the track. I will definitely keep it in mind, though.

evilbunny:
Thanks for the link to your work. Here, this one is to some of my own efforts: http://www.planetavp.com/mods/motw/lairofthebieste/
As you can see, I can be quite a dedicated individual when it comes to making maps for AvP2. At this early stage of the Open Pyramid Project I am interested in generating dedicated support on this forum and find out who is prepared assist with it. I am not writing private solicited invitations as it is intended to be a public Project. I am also looking for high quality work, so if you feel that you are up to it, then you are welcome to contribute.

Thanks guys for your feedback.

-Windebieste.

-----signature-----
Vegetarians are Tasty

after looking at the movie a second time to make sure about the hive, i was actully correct they are the same room, if u look u can see the trophies just after scar kills the, chestburster, also u can see some of the, things the ppl lie on etc, i supose tou should have it as regualar room, eg not hived, then you could put the hive in the centre of the maze, so to speak where, miller etc get lost in, u kno the triangular shaped vents...

^note same board guest as b4...

Over 40 - Still Reckless
Well, in a pyramid with "Hundreds of rooms." it might be reasonable to assume that there is more than one sacrificial chamber present. One that is still useable and one that has been interior decorated by xenomorphs.

No, I don't intend to create a pyramid with hundreds of rooms - just keeping to the essential chambers and linking corridors to create a playable representation of the pyramid in AvP2.

Redecorating movie sets (In this case, to change the sacrificial chamber into a xenomorph hive.) is a common filmmaking practice. It helps save a lot of money in the process of creating sets. For example, did you know that the Space Jocky chamber and the egg silo in the original ALIEN is the same set, redecorated?

So, I am opting for the 'same set, different rooms' option.

Anyway, would anyone like to submit layout designs/sketches/plans of how this thing is to be planned out? The basic layout of the map, with the Pyramid and entrance at the top and the Queen's Stasis pit at the bottom is pretty much predetermined. There is still plenty of scope for where each of the individual rooms can be place. Any takers? Ideas? ...or just leave the layout up me.

-Windebieste.

-----signature-----
Vegetarians are Tasty

Sink into dream
Sacrificial chamber would be up my alley, the Queen's lair... and that part with the vents. I don't think I'd do anything without having the textures first, though.

They may take our Hives....
Statue hall (first pred sighting) sounds interesting. Count me in for that.

seeing, as you have gained quite a bit of interest, and you seem dedicated to see this project through to the end, you can count me in, i will sign up for a forum name etc, if i were to do a room, it would be the hive..., if u want to see what my map making skills are like then i will send you a sample of my latest work...

Note: Same board guest as previous 2 ^^

Over 40 - Still Reckless
<orange>Awright, we have 'Lift Off!'.</orange>

PsyKore:
Not happy with just one room... you want to make half the map? OK, the Sacrificial Chamber is all yours. Done. As for the other locations, well, it's probably best tackling each of the locations one at a time. If the Queen's pit and ''That part with the vents'' is still available for grabs, then you are welcome to them, too.

In regards to working with a custom textures, I agree. A set of custom textures for this Project is an absolute must; but waiting for them to happen just creates a Catch 22 situation: The problem is, texture artists have a tendency to wait and see that their work is actually going to get used in worthy projects. A set of good textures doesn't happen overnight, y'know, so they don't like to put in a solid effort that amounts to zero. As AvP2 community mappers, it is up to us to prove that a project such as this is worthwhile. I am sure, am sure beyond a doubt, that we can manage that and stimulate some genuine interest.

In the meantime, we'll just use the crummy brick textures found in the WorldTextures\Walls\Walls1 directory. They will suffice as place holders until it hurts so much that any texture artists will just have to contribute to alleviate the eyesore. Yeah, we can do this. We need them, sure, but we gotta prove it first.

flyingScotsman:
Statue Hall. Yep. That's the one. All yours. Looking forward to seeing it.

BoardGuest (''B4'',''P2''):
Nuff said already. If you are capable of using DEdit and want to make a valuable contribution, then the Hive is yours. Log on with a user name and confirm, if you could please.

Thanks everyone, your support will make this happen and it looks like we're off to a terrific start, already. I will amend the above list accordingly. Now I just gotta convince some modellers, skinners and texture artists to also make a contribution and we're well on track.

-Windebieste.

-----signature-----
Vegetarians are Tasty

In Reply To #1
Already I have her(it) made.
You can see her in www.nivel426.com

Saludos
M1
Site Director
www.nivel426.com´
m1@nivel426.com

Do ya?
ok thanks, yeah iv signed up as u can probly tell... any way for me to start on the hive i will need a very basic, template of the sacraficial chamber, so psykore, when u have your very first basic layout can you pls send it to me, when we get the the textures, i will convert a few so there hived etc... ill get under way with the hive as soon as a recieve a basic template of the sacraficial chamber, (seeing as they are the same room, but will be placed in different locations)

Thanks...

-----signature-----
Where'd all the candy go?

Over 40 - Still Reckless
<orange>I was wondering what other pyramid maps are out there.
</orange>M1:
Cool! That looks great so far. Any interpretation of the film's locale is going to be welcomed by the AvP2 community. For example Hevoc's Hadley's Hope does not render the older Mikey's Hope map worthless. They are different interpetations of the same ALIENS locale. I am not interested in invalidating efforts in regards to the pyramid being built by anybody, including yours. On the contrary, I am offering the opportunity for any mappers in the AvP2 community to band together to create a unique Project we can all contribute to.

Seeing as you have already gone such a long way in the process of building your own Pyramid map, any contribution you choose to make to the Open Pyramid Project will be appreciated. I/WE would love to see what you have to offer.

[DnD] WsCandy!:
Welcome aboard the OPP. Awright, the hive is yours. PsyKore will probably get that prefab to you quick smart coz he's probably itching to get a start on the Queen's stasis pit before someone else nabs it. Go Psy, Go! (Sorry to have to put the pressure on you like this, Mate.)

-Windebieste.

-----signature-----
Vegetarians are Tasty

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   .. 16  .. 26  .. 36  .. 78   Next>
ForumPlanet Home » ForumPlanet » Action » Planet AvP Forums » Games » Editing » AvP2: Open Pyramid Project.
© 2012 IGN Entertainment, Inc (9.02.17.2300, MEDIAPRDBOARD04) 0.094