There are twelve distinct areas around Icewind Dale that players will be able to explore in their adventures. Below are descriptions of some of these areas.
The following are a few of the main areas that can be explored:
Heart of Winter adds the following five main areas:
- Easthaven - One of the Ten Towns of Icewind Dale. Where the adventure starts.
- The Vale of Shadows - A haunted valley full of ancient crypts.
- The Temple of the Forgotten God - Dedicated to a megalomaniac from long ago.
- Dorn's Deep - Once a dwarven stronghold, it was sacked by monsters hundreds of years ago.
- Wyrmtooth Glacier - Portions of a dwarven citadel, carved out of ice.
- Kuldahar - see below
- Dragon's Eye - see below
- Severed Hand - see below
Trials of the Luremaster adds the following three main areas:
- Lonelywood - One of the Ten Towns of Icewind Dale.
- Barbarian Camp - A gathering of different clans is taking place.
- Burial Island - A place full of undead.
- Gloom Fost - Home of the Seer and ice monsters.
- Sea of Moving Ice - Here lives evil that legends are made of.
- Anauroch - A desert town far away from the Ten Towns.
- Labyrinth of Helm - Huge dungeon ripe for the picking.
- Anauroch Castle - Home of the Luremaster and his undead guards.
A town nestled in the roots of an ancient, holy tree.
Nestled in the Spine of the World mountain range, Dragon's Eye is a dormant volcano, home to cold-blooded creatures that would otherwise die in Icewind Dale's harsh environment. Early in development, we recognized that we needed to have a healthy amount of contrast in our game to prevent it from becoming repetitive and dull. The primitive dwellings and warm atmosphere of Dragon's Eye are home to lizard men and yuan-ti. The levels of Dragon's Eye differ greatly each having a community of displaced foes with a common purpose for gathering in the volcano.
In the history of the Forgotten Realms, there existed a time when the elves of Illefarn created citadels to help divert the river of orcs, goblins, trolls, and ogres that came pouring over the Spine of the World mountains. One of these citadels was called the Hand of the Seldarine. The locals of Icewind Dale don't know much about the history of the now-accursed place. In fact, they refer to it by an entirely different name: the Severed Hand. The Severed Hand is a site of awesome ruined majesty and twisted magical power, haunted by the phantoms of long-dead elven and orcish warriors. The spirits are locked in eternal combat, protecting and assaulting the "fingers" of the hand as they did hundreds of years ago.